Broccoli Chicken Cheese Soup
This recipe comes from my friend Jen's mom, Sue Haslam. We had it for our LD progressive dinner and it is delicious. Swabbie love!
Broccoli Chicken Cheese Soup
*this makes a lot! I halved the recipe*
12 Chicken breasts
1 1/2 large onions
1 tsp Lowry's seasoning salt
3-4 small inner celery stalks with the leaves (for the broth)
6 tsp chicken bouillon granules
3 cups diced carrots
3 cups diced celery
3 cups broccoli pieces (I think you can add a little more...I did)
3 cubes butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp black pepper
8 oz jar of cheese whiz
1 lb. of velveeta
Place 12 chicken breasts and 3 1/2 quarts water in large pan.
Add to water:
1/2 of a large onion (cut in half or quartered...not diced)
1 tsp Lawry's
3-4 small (inner) celery stalks with leaves
Cook ingredients 1 1/2 to 2 hours on low heat until chicken is tender. Remove cooked chicken from stock, allow to cool; cut into small pieces, season with Lawry's and set aside.
Strain onion and celery from stock/broth and add 6 tsp of chicken bouillon granules to 3 quarts of the stock.
Add:
3 cups diced carrots
3 cups diced celery
1 large onion, diced
Boil in stock mixture for 15 minutes.
Microwave the 3 cups of broccoli pieces on high for 6 min. Set aside.
Melt 3 cubes butter or margarine (in saucepan on stove) add 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Blend well and add to stock mixture.
Add 8 oz. cheese whiz; mix well.
Add 1 lb. velveeta (it helps to cut it up) and stir over low heat until melted.
Add cooked broccoli and chicken, stirring mixture gently. Add salt to taste if needed.
I found that my soup was thicker than we wanted, so I also added one can of chicken broth.
Broccoli Chicken Cheese Soup
*this makes a lot! I halved the recipe*
12 Chicken breasts
1 1/2 large onions
1 tsp Lowry's seasoning salt
3-4 small inner celery stalks with the leaves (for the broth)
6 tsp chicken bouillon granules
3 cups diced carrots
3 cups diced celery
3 cups broccoli pieces (I think you can add a little more...I did)
3 cubes butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp black pepper
8 oz jar of cheese whiz
1 lb. of velveeta
Place 12 chicken breasts and 3 1/2 quarts water in large pan.
Add to water:
1/2 of a large onion (cut in half or quartered...not diced)
1 tsp Lawry's
3-4 small (inner) celery stalks with leaves
Cook ingredients 1 1/2 to 2 hours on low heat until chicken is tender. Remove cooked chicken from stock, allow to cool; cut into small pieces, season with Lawry's and set aside.
Strain onion and celery from stock/broth and add 6 tsp of chicken bouillon granules to 3 quarts of the stock.
Add:
3 cups diced carrots
3 cups diced celery
1 large onion, diced
Boil in stock mixture for 15 minutes.
Microwave the 3 cups of broccoli pieces on high for 6 min. Set aside.
Melt 3 cubes butter or margarine (in saucepan on stove) add 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Blend well and add to stock mixture.
Add 8 oz. cheese whiz; mix well.
Add 1 lb. velveeta (it helps to cut it up) and stir over low heat until melted.
Add cooked broccoli and chicken, stirring mixture gently. Add salt to taste if needed.
I found that my soup was thicker than we wanted, so I also added one can of chicken broth.
Yum, I'm going to have to try these recipes. I totally remember that soup! Hurray to the Haslam's!
ReplyDeleteHi...I finally checked your blog. I love it all...you are so totally awesome. You know where the phrase "DO IT" came from don't you? President Kimball. Love YOU!!and Greg too. MOM
ReplyDelete