Memorial Day 2008
What a great Memorial Day! Greg and I went camping for three nights at Bryce Canyon National Park. We got to our KOA late on Friday night and weren't sure which tent site was ours (and we didn't want to pitch the tent in the dark and cold) so we actually stayed in a little motel that night. Then on Saturday we went to the North Campground in Bryce and found the perfect tent site.
It was such a fun weekend. We hiked and roasted marshmallows and ate s'mores! I had some new camping gear that I love! We also tried some new camp cooking: Mountain House dinners. They're these packets of all types of freeze-dried food (breakfast, dinner, dessert) that you just add boiling water to and eat. They were surprisingly delicious! Despite the rain and snow, I stayed really warm with Greg's awesome fires and his really good down sleeping bag. Another help was the fact that we took hot showers at this cool place called Ruby's Inn, just outside of the park. Their showers, believe it or not, had soft water! How's that for camping!
On Memorial Day, we drove home through Zion National Park and boy was it crowded! We had been writing down license plates in Bryce, and when we hit Zion we got tons more:
- Ohio
- Nevada
- Utah
- California
- Wyoming
- South Dakota
- Florida
- New Mexico
- Washington
- Georgia
- Texas
- Vermont
- Idaho
- Massachusetts
- Illinois
- New Jersey
- North Dakota
- Colorado
- Arizona
- Louisiana
- New Hampshire
- Pennsylvania
- Oregon
- Iowa (we think)
- Alabama
- Minnesota
- Missouri
- Maine
- North Carolina
- Delaware
- Montana
- Mississippi
- Oklahoma
- New York
- Virginia
- Alaska
- South Dakota (we think)
- Wisconsin
- Michigan
Not to mention three Canadian provinces: British Columbia, Quebec, and Nova Scotia. Just think, all of these people come from all over the U.S. and even the world, to see what we have in our own backyard! I love Utah. It's national parks can't be beat, and it was a great way to spend our Memorial Day.
Wow...you did get caught up! I have to say that I love the desert. I love the places you post about because I went there so much as a kid and in college. Calf Creek Falls, even. I'm too far away now...so thanks for the reminder of the beauty of the Utah desert.
ReplyDeleteI love that you have updated the blog. It is fun to see what you've been up to. It looks like you had a marvelous weekend. I have never been to Bryce. It would be fun to go. Like you said people come from all over just to see what you have in your back yard. It is great to be back in Utah.
ReplyDelete